Skip to main content

News Community

So Long, Omicron?

Photo by Adrian Swancar on Unsplash I’m sorry folks, but the pandemic is not over yet. I really wish I had to try harder to come up with topics, but everyone’s favorite bat flu keeps returning to my arms unbeckoned.…

The Kids are Alright

Photo by ivalex from Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on October 5, 2021.  Last week, the county’s COVID-19 Joint Information Center held a press conference to discuss efforts against the pandemic and provide an update on the impacts of the disease locally.…

COVID on the Brain

Photo by Laurenz from Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on September 21, 2021.  This isn’t going to be a fun one. Honestly, if you’ve had enough COVID this week, skip it. I won’t take it personally. Recent Numbers One in 500 Americans…

Go Get Stuck: The COVID-19 Vaccine Disinformation Roundup

Photo by CDC on Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on May 11, 2021 With vaccination numbers on the rise and cases mostly on the decline, whispers of a return to normalcy are on the breeze once again, at least…

What’s That You Say?

Photo by Edward Jenner from Pexels Published in the Humboldt Independent on May 4, 2021 Beginning about 20 years ago a large international group of academic researchers conducted a series of informally linked studies on literacy in industrialized nations. The questions being asked…

One Year of a Pandemic

It’s been one year since Humboldt County was ordered to shelter-in-place. How can one begin to define this past year, now that we all know firsthand that the word “pandemic” means a whole lot more than just a widespread outbreak…

Seven Years of Pandemic?

Photo by CDC on Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on February 23rd, 2021 Scariest among the recent COVID-19 updates is the revelation that we might be facing another seven years of COVID-19 updates. Not necessarily in the United States,…

Different Strains

Photo by Prasesh Shiwakoti (Lomash) on Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on January 12, 2021 It’s been a year of this now, and in all likelihood, it won’t be the last one. The record for COVID-19 deaths in a…

Better Call Sol

Photo by David Monje on Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on December 29, 2020 By the time you read this, the winter solstice of 2020 will have passed, yet the daily increasing light goes on for another 6 months…

Don’t Read This Article

Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on December 22, 2020 While it’s been discussed from the onset of the pandemic, the impact of COVID-19 on our collective mental health over the past year is in…