Skip to main content

News Community

Who’s First?

Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels Published in the Humboldt Independent on December 8, 2020  Now that the vaccine is here, who’s going to get it first? Happy to save me from a rhetorical question, England has already ordered up two million shots…

Make a New Plan Stan

Photo by Mufid Majnun on Unsplash As the anticipated surge in COVID-19 cases spreads across the US, scenes of last spring’s initial wave are being revisited: refrigerated trucks for excess bodies, exhausted medical personnel reusing personal protective equipment at their…

Love is All You Need

Photo by Everton Vila on Unsplash In his 2012 book “The Social Conquest of the Earth“, renowned biologist E.O. Wilson compared various eusocial species in an effort to tease out the differences and similarities between human societies and those of…

Keep Your Mask On

Photo by Atoms on Unsplash I will go ahead and concede that a few layers of cloth don’t exactly seem like that significant of a measure in the face of a global pandemic. However, I must admit that I am…

Surge Protection

Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels Published in the Humboldt Independent on October 27th, 2020  Nine months into the pandemic, with winter approaching, we anticipate the expected surge in COVID-19 cases much better prepared than we were for the initial outbreak. Case numbers…

A Breathtaking View: Respiratory Health in Wildfire Season

Published in the Humboldt Independent on September 29, 2020 It’s been a rough year for breathing. We already ask quite a bit of our respiratory system, which is stuck between car exhaust, industrial and environmental pollution, seasonal bouts of pollen,…

Heeding the Call for a New Hospital in Southern Humboldt

Published in the Humboldt Independent on September 8, 2020  On January 1, 2030, new statewide earthquake safety standards will take effect that Jerold Phelps Community Hospital in Garberville will be unable to meet. If SoHum Health does not construct a…

Back to School

Photo by Julia M Cameron from Pexels Published in the Humboldt Independent on September 1, 2020 While things might get heated over the specifics, everyone generally can agree that they want the best for their kids. The problem being that these days, no…

Brave New World

Photo by sukhdev singh on Unsplash Published in the Humboldt Independent on August 25, 2020 COVID news getting old? Well, let’s take a little break from our unwelcome guest Rona as we embark on Heat’n’smoketember and turn our attention to…

The End of Coronavirus

Photo by B_Me on Pixabay  Published in the Humboldt Independent on July 7, 2020 And now for your government-mandated positivity for the week of Tuesday, July 7th: this pandemic, like most pandemics, will end. Odds are good we wouldn’t be…