Skip to main content

News Community

Fires, mudslides, tsunamis and earthquakes… Oh my!

Northern California is no stranger to extreme weather events. The recent Carr and Mendocino Complex fires still raging have become the most destructive and largest wildfires in the state’s history, respectively. Whenever we hear about or see these events on…

Fire!! Ready, Set, Go!

Ready, Set, Go! is the title of CalFire’s brochure and video designed to help each of us create our own wildfire action plan. I’m going to get mine done right after I write this column. I’ve come late to this…

Courtyard ribbon-cutting

“Where flowers bloom so does hope.” Lady Bird Johnson Approaching Garberville’s hospital campus nestled in the residential backstreets there is a sense of community neighborliness. Visitors to Jerold Phelps Community Hospital or the Southern Humboldt Community Clinic can now enjoy…

The people we serve – part 2

This is the second of two columns featuring comments by people who have used our District’s services. Read part 1 here. Hospital rehab services “Thank God for this place” says Johnny Jennings about Jerold Phelps Community Hospital. After several days…

The people we serve – part 1

This is the first of two posts featuring comments by people who have used our District’s services. Spectrum of care Hal Lepoff:  “I never expected to be diagnosed with an incurable cancer (Chronic lymphocytic leukemia or CLL).  It’s something that…

Local hospital history

The early days Local lore tells of doctors delivering care in our area in the early 1900’s on horseback or via horse and buggy, and there was apparently a small hospital near the north end of Garberville in that era.…

Voucher Program

Did you know you can use SHCHD’s Voucher Program to get credit equal to the amount of all the SHCHD parcel taxes you pay, and you can use that credit to pay for services you, your family, or your tenants…

The Gold at Rainbow’s End

Chase the leprechaun South Fork High School’s Track Team and Interact Club are hosting a Fun Run on St. Patrick’s Day, Saturday, March 17, at SoHum Community Park– rain or shine! Gates will open at 7:00, and the race starts…

Healthy As We Wanna Be

Photo by Christian Bowen on Unsplash Have you wondered what’s meant by Community Wellness and Population Health? Traditionally, doctors focused on curing what ails us. They didn’t concern themselves with our diet, exercise, economic status, social support, and environment. They…

Walking Each Other Home

Photo by Beth Macdonald on Unsplash Talking this week with Joe Whitney, Office Manager of our local Heart of the Redwoods Community Hospice (HRCH), gave me a new appreciation for the services our Hospice provides and the role Jerold Phelps…