The SoHum Health Laboratory offers rapid COVID-19 testing!
Due to the extreme demand for this service, we now require patients to schedule a time to arrive for their test. Phone (707) 672-3411 to schedule your time slot, prior to arrival.
The SoHum Health Laboratory offers rapid COVID-19 testing, standard testing at an outside laboratory (most results within 3 to 4 days but can be much longer), and COVID-19 antibody testing. It is our desire to be able to offer testing to everyone in the community who needs one. Unfortunately, there are still difficulties in securing the supplies required to conduct the tests. To ensure sufficient stock of tests for our emergency department, skilled nursing residents, and staff, we have instituted a tiered system for testing availability as follows:
We are currently in the GREEN TIER (12/15/20)
- Green: Testing open for all purposes – Emergency Department, Skilled Nursing, Clinic patients, those with orders from outside providers, employee health screenings, and public testing for those who believe they’ve been exposed, are traveling, or have symptoms.
- Yellow: Testing of community members who present with symptoms, patients with a provider’s order (including pre-op testing), Emergency Department patients, Skilled Nursing patients, and employee health screenings.
- Orange: Testing limited to patients with a provider’s order from SoHum Community Clinic, Emergency Department patients, Skilled Nursing patients, and employee health screenings.
- Red: Emergency Department patients, Skilled Nursing patients, and employee health screenings.
- Black: Emergency Department patients and Skilled Nursing patients only.
NEW! Additional testing resource in SoHum:
We are happy to announce that the Humboldt County Emergency Operations Center is collaborating with SoHum Health to bring COVID-19 community surveillance testing to Southern Humboldt.
FREE Drive-Thru COVID-19 Testing every Tuesday at the SoHum Health Sprowel Creek Campus is now available!
To sign up for a test, please go to https://lhi.care/start, or phone 888-634-1123.
If you have questions about testing, please call our Joint Information Center at (707) 441-5000
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where is the testing location?
A: SoHum Health only collect specimens for testing at our hospital location, 733 Cedar Street in Garberville. To keep everyone safe, you will be directed to wait outside in a safe location, usually in your car in a designated parking area, throughout the process. We recommend calling (707) 923-3921 ext. 239 the day you want to be tested for the latest details.
Q: When is testing available?
A: Non-emergency testing is available 7 days a week from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Q: How do I get tested?
A: We offer testing in 3 different ways, which will vary depending on which tier we are currently in.
- Green Tier – Come to be tested without seeing a provider. We offer this option to people who believe they may have been exposed to COVID-19, including exposure through the community/public places.
- Yellow & Green Tiers – Bring in an order from your healthcare provider.
- Orange, Yellow & Green Tiers – See one of our providers and ask for an order. You can sign in to our ER if you have severe symptoms or believe you have a medical emergency, or you can call (707) 923-3921 ext 221, to make an appointment with one of our clinic providers. The provider will evaluate you and may order testing.
Q: How do I get my results?
A: The easiest way to get your results is to wait until your test is finished and get a copy directly from our laboratory. You can also come back on a later date and fill out a medical records release form, but it may take several days to get your results to you. If your test result is positive, your doctor (or a SoHum provider, if you came without an order) will call you at the phone number you provided.
Q: How long does it take?
A: We will complete your registration, collect the sample, and get you results as quickly as possible – usually in two hours or less. Please keep in mind that the same people helping you are the ones taking care of other patients, so you may experience an extended wait time during emergencies or peak times.
Q: Is testing free?
A: SoHum Health bills for COVID-19 virus testing services like any other service. The CARES Act requires third-party payers, including Medicare, Medicaid (Medi-Cal), and health insurance companies to pay 100% of the costs of these services, but we cannot promise that they will do so. For California residents without insurance, there is a special program that may pay for testing for those who provide their personal information and apply for this special Medi-Cal benefit. For those without insurance, the charge for the test is $127.
Q: How often can I get the rapid test at SoHum Health?
A: Individuals are limited to a quantity of two tests in any given 30-day period.