SoHum Health now has Pediatrics!
Laura Mojica, PNP is a board-certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and International Lactation Consultant with 20 years of experience. A Humboldt County native, she completed her clinical training with Dr. Buxbaum, Dr. Killfoil, and Constance Mitchell, PNP at Redwood Pediatrics in Fortuna. Laura was voted Best Pediatrician in the 2022 North Coast Journal Best of Humboldt Contest!
Laura Mojica, PNP is accepting new pediatric patients at Southern Humboldt Community Clinic. If you need lactation consultation or pediatric care for your child, call (707) 923-3921 to schedule an appointment.
Well Child Exams
A Wellness Exam or Well Child Exam is an essential check-up that keeps you and your doctor up to date on your child’s health and development. It creates a medical history for your child and is required to enroll in school. A Sports Physical can also be done at the same time if needed. Wellness exams are key to keeping your child happy and healthy!
During the visit, your child’s doctor will:
- Check your child’s height and weight
- Look at their ears and eyes
- Check their gums and teeth
- Discuss, recommend, and give needed vaccines
- Talk about healthy habits
- Assess their social development and milestones
- Answer your questions and address any concerns
Your child should see the doctor at the following ages:
- 3 to 5 days
- 1 month
- 2 months
- 4 months
- 6 months
- 9 months
- 12 months
- 15 months
- 18 months
- 24 months
- 30 months
- 3 years
- Annually until age 21
Laura Mojica, PNP is also an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. A lactation consultant is specially trained and certified to help you with any problems or concerns you have related to breastfeeding your baby. She can offer reassurance and troubleshoot specific issues with you, including:
- How to increase or maintain your milk supply.
- Recognizing your baby’s hunger cues.
- Determining a feeding schedule.
- Making sure your baby is latched properly.
- Treatment for sore or cracked nipples.
- Treatment for breast engorgement.
- Finding the best breastfeeding position for you and your baby.
- Making sure your baby is gaining weight.
- Using your breast pump to express breastmilk.